Sunday, December 19, 2010

Brrrrrr!

As I sit here by my fire watching the NCHA futurities, thinking how hard it is going to be to get up in the morning at 6 AM to make it to the gym, I am thankful for my warm home.  I have all my critters in the den with me.  Normally they sleep outside, even on a cold night, but knowing it is going to get down to 18 degrees tonight, we decided to let them come in to enjoy the fire with us.  I get asked all the time if animals should be brought inside during the cold weather, and that really is a question which can only be answered after taking into consideration many variables. The truth is, before we domesticated dogs, they lived their life and thrived outside in much more extreme winters than here in South Georgia. Now having said that, I do have to say the wild dog and the typical domesticated dog are two very different dogs. First off, dogs in the wild did not live to be ten or twelve years old, their hair coat was adapted to extreme temperatures, and they certainly did not weigh four pounds. So when I am asked the question of whether or not a dog or a cat should be brought inside the home, these are things I talk to owners about before making that call. Assuming animals have some type of hole or covering to escape the winds such as a dog house, a crate or a barrel and this area is bedded down with a bedding such as wood chips, straw or hay and the animal is a healthy, young to middle aged dog in good body condition, they will be able to sustain the winter temperatures.  Many people like to put a heat lamp on the dog houses, which do increase the temperature substantially, but it can not be ignored the dangers in that. One major fact is that all dogs like to chew on inanimate objects and an electrical cord draped around their dog house makes it very enticing to do a little chewing and chewing on an electrical cord that has electricity flowing can result in electrocution. 

So, I say if in doubt as to whether or not your pets can handle the winter, just bring them inside.  If they are not house broken, close them up in a bathroom or laundry room and allow them to spend the night in the warmth.  Before turning them out in the mornings, feed them a good meal and make sure their water is not frozen.  They will be so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment